I am not a Mexican food fan but this dish is so easy to prepare. I have a short version if don’t have much time to prepare or a long version if you have time to prepare a more sophisticated one. We have it from time to time as an evening snackie when we watch movie at night. I know it’s not good to have snacks at night but avocado is antioxidant….meaning anti-aging!!! OK, OK, we only eat this occasionally, I don’t need to rationalize and be so mean to myself, right?
Guacamole can be prepared a few hours ahead, and keep in the fridge. To prevent it from being oxidized, you will need to cover the bowl with Clingfilm, pressing it onto the surface of the guacamole to avoid contact to air.
Ingredients for Quick version:
- 2 big ripe avocados
- a packet of guacamole mixing powder
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice (if available at home, this will help preventing oxidation)
- a pack of Nachos
- Cut the avocadoes in half, peeled and cut into cubes. Then use a fork to mash the avocado into a paste in a big bowl.
- Mix in the guacamole mixing powder and fresh lime juice.
- Serve immediately with Nachos or keep in fridge as described above.
Note: I don’t use the whole pack as it may be too spicy.
Ingredients for long version:
- 2 big ripe avocados mashed
- 1 small onion (or red onion), finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed and finely chopped), the canned one works as well
- 1 plum tomato (seeded and cut into small cubes)
- a handful of chopped coriander (or cilantro, how it is called in the US), you can chop the stems and leaves.
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- a bit of salt if necessary
Basically the method is same as the quick version except we use more fresh ingredients here. You can add some guacamole mixing powder if you like but if I am making such a big effort to make this one, I would opt out the powder as this give you a more natural and fresh flavor.
So why not pick a movie and try it out this weekend!