In Switzerland, it is quite common to have your own vegetable & fruit garden. I am naive in gardening but I am learning everyday. Last summer, we had our self-grown beans and they really tasted much better than those from the supermarkets. It was an exciting experience for a city girl like me to see how the beans are still hanging on the plant before they are picked (please see pictures at the bottom of page). We also had a grape tree which we had made bottles of grape syrup. So organic ……… : )
This year we had two harvests of raspberries so far , I have made an absolutely fabulous and easy-to-make raspberry fool dessert from a recipe of my neighbour, Philly. She is also our gardening consultant, by the way. Last year, I tried it at her place that it was so unforgetable that I have to try out myself this year.
- 600g rasberry (Fresh or Frozen)
- 500g quark
- 500g mascarpone
- milk 80ml
- 8 tbsp brown sugar
- If you use fresh raspberries, dissolve a few generous spoonfuls of salt in a big bowl of water, then place the berries in the bowl and leave them there for 20 mins or so to get rid of all the insects which may still be hidding in the fruits.
- Discard the salt water and rince the berries in cold water. Reserve a small portion of the raspberries aside for garnish in the end.
- Mix the raspberries and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and let them to macerate for 10 mins.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 mins, then squash the rasberries with a fork. Your raspberry should look like a puree now. The beauty of this recipe is that it is so clean that you will not need a blender at all as the raspberries are so soft.
- Mix in the quark and mascapone with the puree, then slowly add in the milk. The purpose of the milk is to make the dessert less thick. You can adjust the thickness as you wish by controlling the amount of milk added. If there is a lot of juice come out of the raspberries, you can leave the milk out.
- You can now spoon the raspberry mixture evenly into your favorite glasses. Garnish with the reserved berries on top.