I was so excited the other day that I found these mixed mushrooms in the Swiss COOP supermarket, they are like the Japanese Enoki mushrooms. In the pack they have white and brown ones, plus some shiitake. On the pack they just labelled as Mixed mushrooms, anyway who cares as long as they are edible.
I immediately put a pack in my trolley. How to cook them? All of a sudden I recalled this baked mushrooms I had a long time ago in a Japanese Yakitori restaurant. I love Yakitori restaurants, those Japanese skewers are my favorites. Order some skewers and a sake, it’s perfect to go with a small group of friends. I always feel these Yakitori Sake places are similar to the Spanish Tapas Bar.
Anyway, based on my memory and some guesstimation, I made this baked mushrooms at home. This is so easy and clean to make. After finished, I just threw away the aluminium foil.
- a pack of mixed mushrooms (you can use enoki and shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cut a big piece of aluminium foil about 80cm x 30cm. Fold both sides into middle to make a double layer. And fold it into an aluminium wrap with an opening.
- Line the mushrooms in the wrap and add in the seasonings.
- Put the aluminium wrap into a baking tray, cover the opening with another piece of aluminium foil (as a lid)
- Place the baking tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 mins.
- Check if the mushrooms are cooked and serve immediately as one of the vegetable side dishes.
Serving suggestion: best to go with other small dishes such as grilled chicken wings with Asian spices which is also extremely easy to make.
The beauty is that you could serve as it is with the wrap and it really did not leak!