What would you do if you have ripe bananas at home? One is to bake a banana cake and another option is to make Amercian pancakes with mashed bananas. I have not had this for years. Bought a new Tefal Thermo Spot® crêpe pan and good to use it despite I was not going to make crêpes. I have actually been craving McDonald hotcakes and I had some when I was in UK recently at breakfast but that did not seem to stop me thinking of American style pancakes. At home, we make Dutch pancakes from time to time but my favorite is actually the French crêpes but suddenly I am craving of banana pancakes which I had years ago when I was a kid in a clubhouse in Hong Kong. And only after all these years, I now come to think of it and make them myself.
The recipe here suggests using one mashed banana, but my long-lost taste memory told me the version I used to have had more bananas, that’s why I adapted to 2 bananas.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter, cooled
- 1-2 medium sized riped bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- pinches of cinnamon
- Mix the dry ingredients together by sieving the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt together into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients by whisking the egg, milk and melted butter.
- Gradually, add in the wet ingredients mixture into the well of dry ingredients gradually and keep whisking. Whisk until all blend well and form a thick batter.
- Mash the banana(s) and mix well into the batter. Add in the pinches of cinnamon and vanilla essence, mix well and set aside.
- Heat a pancake pan of a flat pan to medium high heat. Melt a little butter on the pan and pour 1/4 cup of the better into the centre of the pan. Let it cook until the batter bubbles and the edge is brown.
- Flip over and cook the other side for another minute or so.
- Transfer the cook pancake to a plate, serve immediately with maple syrup or repeat making more pancakes to enjoy together.
- Best served with some extra butter on top of the pancakes. Occasionally, it’s okay to indulge yourself with a bit of extra butter right?
- What about serving with some whipped cream ???